Dangers of inhaling butane gas

Added: Myka Reveles - Date: 01.02.2022 17:56 - Views: 14141 - Clicks: 2303

Abdulaziz A. AlRabiah, Abdulmalik M. AlShamrani, Afnan A. An year-old male smoker inhaled butane gas out of a pocket lighter with his friend for the purpose of changing his voice.

passion whore Tiffany

He suddenly collapsed and lost his consciousness. Upon arrival to the Emergency Department, he was found pulseless with a rhythm of ventricular fibrillation. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation CPR was initiated according to the advanced cardiac life support ACLS protocol for three cycles Dangers of inhaling butane gas return of spontaneous circulation archived. After extubation, the patient was ataxic and had ificant memory loss and severe confusion.

Days later he improved and was discharged with walking aid for his ataxia and a plan to followup with the neurology team for magnetic resonance imaging MRI of the brain and electroencephalogram EEG as an outpatient. Butane gas is a part of the hydrocarbon group, which has the ability to cross any body tissue due to the high lipophilic characteristics [ 1 ]. It is available in pocket lighters, deodorants, or in-home gases [ 2 ]. It is a tragic cause of death in many cases usually due to refractory cardiac tachyarrhythmia by sensitizing the heart to catecholamines [ 3 — 5 ] and can cross to different organ tissues causing symptoms of toxicity [ 156 ].

Majority of the patients will die due to unwitnessed arrest Dangers of inhaling butane gas 7 ] and delaying the appropriate resuscitation which has shown bad prognosis [ 6 ]. Early recognition and supportive treatment can make better outcome [ 58 ]. Our patient is an year-old male smoker who is not known to have any medical illnesses. One day he was with his friend at home inhaling butane gas out of a pocket lighter for the purpose of enjoying voice change, and then suddenly he collapsed and became unresponsive at home, which was witnessed by his family, and he was taken immediately to the hospital, 10 minutes away from his house.

dirty sister Guadalupe

Upon arrival at the emergency department EDhe was found to be pulseless. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation CPR was initiated and continued for three cycles following standard advanced cardiovascular life support ACLS guidelines.

single female Celeste

Initially, the cardiac monitor showed a rhythm of ventricular fibrillation Dangers of inhaling butane gas he received two doses of joules of unsynchronized shocks. Chest X-ray, brain computed tomography CTand echocardiography were unremarkable to any abnormal findings. Blood investigations including complete blood count CBCmetabolic panel, electrolytes, renal panel, and cardiac enzymes were all in the normal limits except for a mild metabolic acidosis in the venous blood gas.

As he regained his consciousness after extubation he was found to be ataxic, disoriented, and confused. At that time the patient was referred to our facility as a tertiary care health center for higher care. Upon presentation, to our hospital, the patient was vitally stable, confused, having short-term memory loss, ataxia, and disoriented to time and place.

CT brain was repeated and showed no acute brain insult, and blood investigations were overall unremarkable. The patient was assessed by the cardiologist and neurologist in the Emergency Department and the decision was made to admit him under cardiology care in the cardiac care unit CCU for rhythm monitoring and further workup. The next day the neurology team performed a detailed neurological examination which showed the above-witnessed disorientation for time and place, short-term memory loss, and ataxia.

damsel Aila

At that time magnetic resonance imaging MRI and electroencephalogram EEG were ordered to rule out hypoxic brain injury vs. By the fourth day in his hospital course, the patient improved, was conscious, oriented, and regained memory. He started mobilizing out of the bed with walking aid. No cardiac or neurological events were recorded during his hospital stay so he was discharged home with followup appointments for magnetic resonance imaging MRI and electroencephalogram EEG brain with neurology clinic. We present this case of butane inhalation out of pocket lighter gas for a young boy.

Butane gas is volatile and quickly caused hypoxia, Dangers of inhaling butane gas is linked to causing cardiac tachyarrhythmias. It is also highly lipophilic which eases its crossing of the brain and cardiac tissue causing neurological deficit or cardiac arrhythmias. Published literature shows that these patients die of ventricular fibrillation or live with bad neurological outcomes due to the delay in resuscitation or unrecognition of the cause.

Our patient was lucky to survive from this tragic event which may be due to the rapid initiation of resuscitation procedure. Butane gas Dangers of inhaling butane gas is linked with serious tragic outcomes ranging from transient cardiac arrhythmias to complete cardiac arrests and also involves multiple neurological outcomes. The public population must be educated about the dangers of this gas and its bad outcomes and should be recommended to stay away from it.

AlRabiah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attributionwhich permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. Article of the Year Award: Outstanding research contributions ofas selected by our Chief Editors. Read the winning articles. Journal overview. AlRabiah, 1 Abdulmalik M. AlShamrani, 2 and Afnan A. Academic Editor: Vasileios Papadopoulos. Received 25 Mar Revised 20 May Accepted 25 May Published 22 Aug Abstract An year-old male smoker inhaled butane gas out of a pocket lighter with his friend for the purpose of changing his voice.

Introduction Butane gas is a part of the hydrocarbon group, which has the ability to cross any body tissue due to the high lipophilic characteristics [ 1 ].

passion babes Louisa

Case Report Our patient is an year-old male smoker who is not known to have any medical illnesses. Figure 1.

tight wife Paula

Patient ECG upon presentation to the hospital. References B. Erdivanli and A. Woods, A. Perry, and S. Alunni, Y. Gaillard, F. Castier, M. Piercecchi-Marti, and G. Rossi, F. Suadoni, L. Pieroni, F. De-Giorgio, and M. Fekih Hassen, N. Tilouche, H. Ben Sik Ali, and S. Adgey, P. Johnston, and S. Corbacioglu, S. Akkus, Y. Cevik, E. Emektar, I. Kember, and T. View at: Publisher Site Google Scholar. More related articles. Download other formats More. Related articles.

Dangers of inhaling butane gas

email: [email protected] - phone:(581) 931-4420 x 2176

'Deeply worrying' increase in people huffing butane in Dublin city centre